THE DONEGAL HIGHLANDS EXPLORER
The Highlands of Donegal are one of Ireland’s best kept secrets. This day tour is the perfect way to explore its ruggedly beautiful landscapes of wild mountains, moors and loughs and experience the picturesque market town of Donegal.
Derry – Grianán Aileach
The mysterious ancient fortress known as Grianán of Aileach is a must see visitor attraction on any Derry/Londonderry tour heading westbound. Built entirely of stone with outer walls sixteen foot high, Grianán of Aileach sits atop a prominent hill with breathtakingly panoramic views over counties Derry, Donegal, and Tyrone. Gazing north, much of Inishowen and Lough Swilly can be clearly seen on a fine day. This Iron Age hillfort is steeped in legends and folklore which your guide will share with you from inside its ancient walls.
Grianán Aileach – Barnesmore
Barnesmore was once the most infamous mountain pass in all of Ireland and known as ‘The Gap of the North’. Your guide will share stories of local highwaymen, phantom hitchhikers and other ghostly happenings next to the historic Donegal inn – Biddy’s Ó Barnes.
Barnesmore – Donegal Town
The picturesque and friendly town of Donegal lies nestled beneath wooded drumlin hills at the head of Donegal Bay. The O’Donnell of Tír Chonail were once the Irish lords of the territory. Their historic stronghold, Donegal Castle, is now open to visitors. We recommend the Old Castle Bar & Restaurant for an atmospheric lunch while the town centre offers a charming selection of gift shops, terrific local interest bookshop, and the iconic heritage store ‘Magees of Donegal’.
Donegal Highlands Scenic Route
The afternoon feature drive back to Derry/Londonderry will take you through the heart of the Donegal Highlands – with stories, music and fascinating folklore from your driver guide. The wild, unspoilt beauty of Donegal’s mountains, moors, glacial lakes combined with dramatic Atlantic cloudscapes have inspired generations of artists, musicians and poets. Ample opportunities for photo stops will be provided along the way.
Due to the impact of the COVID 19 pandemic, our tours may be changed on a daily basis. Please contact us (028 7151 1690) for updates on the tour.
There can be times when we will need to walk to specific attractions. Please come dressed appropriately for the season but keep in mind, the weather in Northern Ireland can be cold at any time of the year.
- Warm clothing
- Comfortable shoes
- A print out of your boarding ticket/voucher
- Discounts for some events and attractions
- Admission fees into attractions
- Online tickets are valid for up to 1 year after purchase
- Free cancellation of booking up to 72 hours before departure date, no admin fee imposed.
- Free change of date up to 12 hours before departure date, no admin fee imposed. Change of date can be within 1 year of purchase.
- Anything cancelled within 12 hours will not be refunded.
- Cancellation of some attractions may not be accepted. These are set forth by the attractions themselves and not City Sightseeing Derry.
- You can present the voucher either through print out or on your device (i.e mobile, tablet)